What grades does River Grove serve?
- We are a K-6 school.
Is River Grove free? Who can attend?
- Yes, River Grove is a tuition-free public charter school.
- Any K-6 student who lives in Minnesota can attend River Grove.
Is River Grove part of a larger district?
- We are a totally separate school district: #4254. Please read more about charter schools in Minnesota here: www.marineareaschool.org/about/faq/
How many spots are available in each class?
- A maximum of 27 for 2 through 6; 25 for K and 1.
How many classes are there? How many students?
- For 2019-20, we have 195 students in 10 classes (two Ks, two 1st grades, one each of 2nd through 4th and 6th, and two 5th grades).
How long is the school day?
- 8:30am to 3:30pm. We have a slightly longer day than some neighboring elementary schools to allow for longer lunches and extra recess.
Is busing available?
- Yes. River Grove owns and manages its own bus transportation. We currently have four routes that service a wide area from Marine on St Croix down to Bayport, MN. Because we own our own buses and employ our own drivers, we have the flexibility to do more field trips to local historical sites, performances, and educational venues.
Who are your teachers? Do you have special education services?
- We are proud of our teachers and of our exceptional special education department! Please read about our teaching staff here, and contact us with your specific questions: firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-409-3122.
What is the curriculum at River Grove?
- The mission of River Grove is to utilize the school’s and local area’s natural resources, history, arts, and community as a foundation for the study of language arts, mathematics, science, social studies, physical education, art, and other curriculum subjects. The model relies on teacher expertise to select and implement curriculum, as well as assess overall effectiveness. The foundational curriculum aligns with Minnesota State Standards.
What is unique about River Grove?
- Research shows that exposure to the outdoors has numerous long-term benefits to students’ intellectual, social, emotional, and physical development. Simply by being surrounded by nature, children experience an environment that refreshes, relieves anxiety, and enhances a sense of peace. But we go even further, intentionally bringing our kids outdoors for both free play (with extra and longer recesses) and structured learning activities.
- River Grove’s setting within the 900-acre Wilder Forest just north of Stillwater encompasses hiking and cross-country ski trails, “outdoor hallways,” incredible play spaces, a kids-favorite sledding hill, outdoor teaching settings, and a wide variety of natural surroundings that enable us to get kids outside for recreation AND learning.
What kinds of arts, extra-curricular programs, and partnerships does River Grove offer?
- Band/orchestra starts in fourth grade with Erika Hammerschmidt.
- In addition to classroom art, River Grove hosts artist-in-residence Karron Nottingham eight times a year.
- Phys-ed specialist Katie Bruns comes to River Grove four days a week for PE, Adventure PE (big-group games and outdoor exploration), and DAPE (Developmental Adapted Physical Education). Much of our phys-ed classes are held outside. In the winter, our special “Winter Warm-Up” program leads kids in snowshoeing and cross-country skiing.
- A variety of after-school clubs help kids express their individual creativity and learn skills, such as Spanish, Art Exhibition Club, Make Your Own Board Game, fiber arts and crafts, “green club,” ping pong, and more.
- We partner with Stillwater’s Zephyr Theatre for vocal music and performance. The Zephyr Theatre also directs our amazing sixth-grade play, performed in May.
- In the early fall, our sixth graders have the wonderful team-building opportunity to spend a week together up at Camp Widjiwagan in Ely, MN.
- We also partner with the St. Croix River Association’s Rivers Are Alive K-12 environmental education program. Our sixth graders attend the St. Croix Youth Summit.
How is charter school enrollment determined?
- Please read about Open Enrollment here: www.marineareaschool.org/enroll-info-main/enrollment-timeline/
Do you give tours?
- Yes! Please contact us at email@example.com or 651-409-3122.
How can I support MACS financially or otherwise?
- Thank you! We have our 501(c)3 nonprofit status. To contribute money by check now, please send your check to: Marine Area Community School, PO Box 178, Marine on St Croix, MN 55047. Or, donate online!