Term: Beginning March 2023 to June 2, 2023
River Grove is a unique outdoor focused charter school that fosters a place-based learning environment. The school is set in the beautiful Wilder Forest, with the school having access to 70+ acres of forest, trails and lakes to help inform and inspire curriculum. The school strives to ensure a unique and magnetic culture that empowers educators and celebrates the distinct attributes of all students and the learning environment.
River Grove seeks a long-term substitute teacher (kindergarten) to join our team this spring for the remainder of the school year.
A valid elementary teaching license or long-term substitute license issued by the Minnesota Department of Education.
Primary Responsibilities, Knowledge and Skills Required
Curriculum Development and Planning:
- Knowledge of the curriculum areas the teacher is responsible for instructing and ability to seek resources to continuously develop and integrate curriculum over time
- Ability to work with a team of teachers to structure curriculum for the School and plan lessons based upon the School mission, vision, academic goals and objectives
- Ability to work cooperatively and independently to implement lessons based upon the school’s goals and objectives
- Attend required curriculum planning sessions and professional development prior to school opening and ongoing at regular intervals as determined by need throughout the year
- Knowledge of teaching and learning strategies to meet a wide range of student learning abilities and styles and ability to adapt teaching methods to needs of student population
- Knowledge of instructional technologies and ability to utilize computer and multimedia technology as appropriate
- Ability to work in a place-based, project-oriented, cooperative learning environment
- Provide instruction in the core curriculum areas for which employed; make appropriate use of instructional resources and technologies
- Develop and implement innovative methods for providing instruction to students
- Ability to use outdoor space as a classroom and participate in moderate physical activity.
- Ability to work alongside other professionals and community specialists as co-teachers of students
- Effectively engage and involve classroom volunteers
- Demonstrate strong skills in classroom presentation and management including excellent organizational skills
- Engage strong interpersonal skills to work effectively with students, parents, and community members from diverse backgrounds and ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Willingness to build and maintain an environment for students that emphasizes community and is structured for engaged student learning
- Utilize Responsive Classroom methods to foster community building
- Perform classroom management duties; enforce rules governing the conduct of students; take appropriate disciplinary action with students when necessary
Responsibilities to the School Environment:
- Assess the needs of the class and prepare requests for materials, furnishing, and supplies within the framework of the budgeting process
- Responsible awareness and implementation of school policies
- Attend school events as required by the school
- Perform duties as a shared staff community including student supervision in common areas as determined by staff collectively
- Contribute to the School’s efforts by partnering with other staff to contribute to student achievement and the alignment and sustainability of resources
- Perform other duties relevant to the success of the school
- Work in the Outdoors: River Grove teachers and students frequently spend the majority of their days in our outdoor setting (weather permitting), enjoying our amazing campus.
- Professional Development: River Grove provides professional development for new staff depending on needs and interest, but always including best practices of teachers in building a safe and inviting climate for learning.
- Travel: Teachers are provided opportunities to participate in training provided in the Twin Cities, across the U.S.
- Career Track and Advancement: Many opportunities are available to River Grove staff, depending on their interests, efforts, and expertise.
- Be a part of something new!: River Grove is just 5 years old and still forming new traditions and experiences for its staff and students.
This position requires vocal communication, hearing, climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, sitting, pushing, pulling, use of hands to grasp and feel, and vision abilities including close, distance, and adjusting focus. Lifting/moving required frequently up to 25 pounds and occasionally up to 40 pounds or more. Work occasionally requires exposure to bloodborne pathogens and is generally in a moderately noisy location. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.