River Grove Elementary: A Marine Area Community School
Phys Ed Position Announcement
Posted June 30, 2017
Location: Located at Wilder Forest, 14189 Ostlund Trail North, Marine on St. Croix, MN 55047
Grades/students (at capacity): 200 students in Kindergarten through 6th grade (two sections of third grade)
Status: Approved to open in 2017; Authorizer is The Minnesota Guild
Marine Area Community School will utilize the natural resources, history, arts, and civic stewardship of the community to create and sustain a student-centered, teacher-designed, and community-supported learning environment.
At Marine Area Community School, our community is our curriculum. The school is nestled in natural amenities and part of the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway, supported by a civically engaged, multi-generational community and inspired by local artists, craftsmen and community members, the School will provide its students with a strong foundation for civic engagement, responsible leadership and lifelong learning. Marine Area Community School is where academics lead to grounded, resilient children and a stronger, healthier community.
Title: Physical Education Teacher, Elementary (K-6)
Candidates selected to fill the role of physical education teacher for Marine Area Community School will have the opportunity to provide PE in a non-traditional setting. The Marine Area Community School is a campus facility nestled in a natural environment and embraces outdoor learning opportunities. As a teacher powered school, candidates will have opportunity to participate on the staff team for school decision-making.
The PE teacher will be responsible for providing direct physical education instruction to students in grades K-6 to meet Physical Education standards. And, is expected to work alongside teaching team to develop the combined Physical Education, Outdoor Education and Health program at the school including selecting appropriate curriculum and materials and emphasizing curriculum connections within the Core Knowledge content where appropriate.
The licensed Physical Education instructor will create a learning environment for exploring fitness, movement and recreation individually and collaboratively to encourage students to value physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression, and social interaction.
As organizer of program, the teacher will work alongside classroom teachers to design and develop an enriching physical experience within the unique layout of the school setting (class will take place primarily out of doors), channeling expertise from within the school community resources for optimum program success.
- Must have a valid MN teaching license, including physical education
- Ideal candidates will have experience in year-round outdoor recreation, with a variety of learners and abilities.
- Ideal candidates will have previous elementary level teaching experience and extensive understanding of PE and DAPE strategies to promote health, teamwork, and fitness.
- Ideal candidates will have deep knowledge of core areas in PE.
- Ideal candidates will have experience honoring student strengths, creativity, and leveraging a connected pedagogy.
- Must have strong classroom management skills with the ability to maintain a positive learning environment.
- Must have the ability to build positive working relationships with students, parents and staff.
- Must have the ability to calmly and effectively deal with a variety of unexpected circumstances.
- Must be proficient with current technology used to support communication, academics, and student progress monitoring.
Salary and Contract
This is a part time position varying between .4 to .6 FTE. Salary will be determined commensurate with experience. Applicants are asked to describe their salary expectations in submitted materials (cover letter).
To Apply for this Opportunity
- Complete the on-line application.
- Upload a .pdf or .jpg of your license, if possible.
- Submit a resume in Microsoft Word or .pdf format.
- Submit an introductory letter in Microsoft Word or .pdf format.
- Include your salary expectations
- References will be requested after an initial interview.
Applications will be considered as they are received and until the position is filled.
Please submit any questions regarding this position description or the Marine Area Community School to email@example.com
Thank you for your interest in this unique and inspirational leadership opportunity!